I sat up in bed, quite suddenly, last night and had a moment of clarity. Perhaps it was the stuffy nose that did it, I don’t know. But…in that short moment that I was awake, aware and lucid, I scribbled this on the notepad I keep next to my bed:
Things that have gone the way of the dinosaurs (in this household):
1) Macaroni and cheese – it’s been several months since J’s last request for these. Does he get a sobriety pin?
2) Baby monitor
3) Boxing gloves – I cannot stress or mention this one enough.
4) Background music for sleeping – which means no more I Wanna Be Sedated or Crocodile Rock or I Want You To Want Me or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun or Wide Open Spaces or I Get a Kick Out of You or The Green, Green Grass of Home in a constant loop while we sleep. The daytime hours, however, remain fair game.
5) The timer for soda – yeah, he gets the ONE soda each day, and never before lunchtime. He’s now cool with that.
6) The weekly shopping trip in which SOMETHING must be purchased – J now goes to the store and will walk out without buying ANYTHING AT ALL.
7) Some extra pounds on J’s frame.
8) Candy – it REALLY is a treat now.
9) Intransigence, inflexibility – they have been replaced with negotiable stubbornness.
And, after counting my blessings, I went back to sleep…